● This will be the first ever Africa Cup of Nations encounter between Gambia and Cameroon, with Cameroon facing debutants in consecutive AFCON matches for the first time since the 1972 group stage (three in a row).
● Including their 2-1 win against Comoros in the last round, Cameroon have won their last three Africa Cup of Nations matches against tournament debutants, more victories than in their first six such games in the competition combined (W2 D3 L1), while they can make it four in a row here against Gambia.
● Gambia are bidding to become the first debutants to reach the semi-finals of the Africa cup of Nations since South Africa in 1996 (who went on to win the competition).
● Cameroon have progressed from two of their last three quarter-final matches at the Africa Cup of Nations (L1), going through on penalties against Senegal (5-4) in the most recent such encounter in 2017.
● Having scored no goals in his first seven appearances at the Africa Cup of Nations, Cameroon’s Vincent Aboubakar has scored in each of his last five in the competition (six in total this year and one in 2017) – He could become the first player to score in a team’s first five games in a single edition in the competition’s history.